When I ask women what’s keep them from doing a boudoir shoot, the following responses usually surface. (Drumroll please):
1) I’m not a size zero
2) I just need to lose a few more pounds
3) I don’t like the way I look right now.
4) I’m not a size zero
5) I just need to lose a few more pounds
6) I don’t like the way I look right now.
See a pattern here? After a while, you either have to stop listening to the same excuses or get creative.
One of the reasons I became a boudoir photographer was to help shatter the type of negative philosophies that we as women have about our bodies, the types that keep us from truly loving and being ourselves.
STOP BEING YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY
We’ve all heard the old adage that “we’re our own worst enemy”, right? This way of thinking—the belaboring over our body types and sizes--tends to wreak havoc in many areas of our lives—more often than we care to admit—and it keeps us from doing what we REALLY want to do. Ridding ourselves of that way of thinking will liberate us. Set us free. Be the force that allows us to truly discover the power of sexy.
So, let’s pause. Take a breath. And now look this situation straight in the eye.
1. If you’re size zero, rejoice. If you’re a size 24, rejoice. You’re breathing and no matter what size you happen to be, you’re worthy of love and praise. I had a client who said about posing for her shoot, “these pictures are for me. I don’t give a s*** who doesn’t like them. I’m not taking them for them.” She’s right. So what if you have an inch too many around the waist? And while we’re at it. Answer this. What’s too many by whose standards? Top Model? Hollywood? Broadway? While they’ve improved somewhat in portraying plus-size and curvy women as sexy human beings, these industries should not be the ruler by which we measure our beauty. Sorry, not buying it. If there are areas you like to tone down or camouflage in your shoot, it’s totally understandable. And guess what? That’s the job of the photographer to help you achieve those goals.
2. So what if you have a few pounds? Does that mean you love yourself any less? Girl, a few more pounds, just means there’s more to love. With the right outfit, the pounds can be taken care of as well. Body suits are wonderfully flattering for showing those extra pounds who is boss.
3. If you’re not happy with the way you look right now, get that confidence and self-esteem flowing again. No matter where you are in your life, what phase you’re in, you should never stop loving yourself. You should never stop believing in yourself. One way to feel alive again? Boudoir.
Boudoir is about indulgence, self-expression and self-love. It’s the mirror, which reflects the sexy you. Don’t let excuses and insecurities keep you from admiring the person you’re sure to see when you look at your boudoir photos—a vibrant, beautiful and unique woman.